Monday, August 31, 2009

Hit on

If a priest gives you his address, email, and phone number, does that count as a come-on? Hmm… something I got to ponder on my flight from Miami to Port au Prince. He was super sweet and was talking to me in Creole for about 5 minutes until he realized I wasn’t answering his questions. All of that was after he asked me in English if this was my first trip to Haiti and I replied ‘yes’.

I landed and the priest said God Bless You and disappeared. I stood in line and turned in my green form without problems. Then to the baggage claim. I waited at the end of the carousel bag thing next to two cops from Miami. I told them my luggage had orange tape on the handles and if they saw it to please tell me. They were cool… but they never saw it. I walked around and discovered a huge pile of bags on the floor. There was bag #1. A very nice, very tall Haitian man saw the orange on my bag and said ‘Wait’ and gave me the universal pointer-finger sign for one minute. Sure enough, here he comes around a corner with my other massive bag. Whew. Go through customs without problems. As I’m walking out, about ten men asked me if I needed help until this big guy comes toward me… I think Troy actually called him Big… and asked who I was looking for. I was hesitant but told him “the Livesays” and he replies “oh oh, yellow! Yellow! I know I know” and grabs my luggage cart and gives it to his lackey. So, I follow them outside and see Troy, Tara, Lydia, and Isaac waving at me with big smiles. It was a great sight.

So, I survived the airport. I know those of you back in Dallas were worried about that, and I thank you for the prayers!

I also survived a tap-tap and a true Haitian market today. More on that later.

Aaron Ivey (a Christian musician guy and friend to Troy and Tara) is here with a team from Austin and they are bringing the curriculum. Should be interesting. And I get ziti for dinner. Ciao.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Vivien, can't believe you're already there! Know you have lots of people thinking about you each day! :)