Monday, January 25, 2010

Two weeks


It is weird thinking back 13 days to pre-earthquake time... I was unpacking my bags from Christmas break in Texas, playing soccer inside with Isaac and Hope and Noah, watching Batman movies and answering tons of questions in the middle... life has completely changed. And I'm not injured or homeless or wondering where my next meal is coming from. Life in Haiti was full of difficulties and challenges and sadness and sorrow and hope before January 12, but now it seems there is more hope than ever before.

So many miracles, and signs that God is here, are happening at the Heartline clinic, and there are so many other clinics operating around the country... hope is alive here. And it's growing.


Haiti will be restored one day, hopefully better and more stable than before. I have no idea when it will happen. Some people are saying years from now, others give no timeline at all. I do know that Haitians are resilient and have a much greater sense of daily thankfulness to God than I do. Maybe that's why I was sent here to be part of this... to learn to be thankful to Him in everything. In the ups and downs, not just the ups.


I am thankful to be in Haiti today, to experience this life-changing event and thankful to know God is changing me through this. I am thankful for a place to come home to every night and to have people here who are all experiencing the same things as I am. I am thankful for supportive family and friends in the states. Most of all I am thankful for a Savior who never gives up on me or anyone, who saves the wretched, weak sinners and turns us into new creations made for His work on earth. I am thankful to be a woman in the kingdom of God.

6 comments:

Laura Elizabeth said...

What lovely words of encouragement! It was wonderful to read your post today full of faith and hope for the future. I'm praying that you reap God's fullest blessing and that your faith and hope continue to grow in the days and weeks to come.
Hebrews 11

Laurel said...

Just found your blog from Tara's. Thanks for serving the Lord in Haiti.

blessings,

mama of 13

Eternal Lizdom said...

I found your blog through the Livesay's blog. I'm keeping a blog list on my own blog of bloggers in Haiti as they share their stories. I'd like to pray for you each day- and to make sure you know that there are people here in the States who are praying for all of you and the work you are doing.

I pray for comfort, healing, peace... and moments of joy.

It's a hard lesson to learn to turn to God in the hard times- but He teaches us so much about grace, faith, love, and hope in those difficult times. He weeps with us, He celebrates with us, He carries us. And to be thankful to Him for giving us challenges- that's a really big leap of faith! But it sounds like you're head and heart are in the right place and that you are so very open to hearing Him and following His path.

jdvingram said...

Thanks for such an uplifting post under dire circumstances. You have such "a great cloud of witnesses" that are with you on this race! May God continue to bless you and the work at Heartline, dearest daughter.
Praying for Haiti,
Mom

Kariss said...

Hey Viv,

So good to hear what God is doing in the midst of chaos and confusion. It always amazes me that God does something so beautiful in the midst of brokenness. Thanks for sharing. Hope you are doing well! Praying for you, friend!

Kariss

Anonymous said...

I love you so much and I will be praying for you and all of Haiti.