Thursday, September 17, 2009

You make it real for me

I don’t understand anything He does in my life. I think if I did, I wouldn’t continually need a Savior… which we all know is definitely not true.



Troy and I talked about the differences between denominations this week, and he finally put into words what I’ve been thinking for a long time without being able to express it: Salvation is a relationship. I was saved, I am saved, I will be saved. I had a relationship with Christ, I have a relationship with Christ, I will have a relationship with Christ. In order to continue a relationship with someone (be it Jesus, a spouse, best friend, etc.) I can’t make a choice to start the relationship and then do nothing to further it. It isn’t a true relationship then.

I know Romans states ‘nothing can separate us from the love of God’, and that several other verses point toward the belief that once a sinner repents and consciously decides to take up Christ’s yoke then nothing can take away that decision; however, Hebrews 6 and Hebrews 10:26-31 say something different. I just don’t think God would have made me the way He did if I only had to make one choice at age 12 and never grow in my knowledge of Him. I have been struggling with the belief in ‘once saved, always saved’ from my southern Baptist upbringing, and I think God shook the cobwebs out of my head and showed me something I hadn’t thought of before. It was pretty cool… and it all happened on a drive through Port au Prince!

I will never have it figured all out, and maybe even my understanding of salvation will change, but for now I am celebrating joyously because God doesn’t expect me to get it! Too bad I had to move to a place with 84% humidity and even higher temperatures to learn that lesson.

I love living in Haiti, regardless of the weather and missing my family and friends back home. I got to be part of a squatting birth on Tuesday and watched God’s miracle of childbirth firsthand. If only Eve hadn’t eaten that fruit…

3 comments:

Lindstrom Livesays said...

Hello! I'm Troy's Mom.
Just reading your Blog for the first time. Welcome to the family! Hope you can stay healthy! Life there will be an adventure I'm sure! Looking forward to hearing about it all. KL

Anonymous said...

Praise God for your clarity of mind and for your growing relationship with the Risen Savior! It is great having you in the guest house and I look forward to the many ways God will use your gifts in Haiti

RJM

megan haug said...

it's a rough life, growing up southern baptist, isn't it?? ;) (i did, too....)

i think i have learned more about God (or maybe it's better stated to say i've learned how little i know) in the past year in Haiti than ever before.

can't wait to get back to haiti to hang with you more. and live with you!!